Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Memories Of My Internet Childhood

So I was sitting around playing Fishy,





a favorite game of myself and my friends in high school when we wanted to kill time in the computer lab, and I got to thinking about the internet I knew and loved when I was younger and how it was a much more low-tech world of bad flash animations, Chuck Norris jokes, really bad MMORPGs, and email chain letters.


So I'd like to take a moment to look back* and remember the internet I grew up with, and share a few of my favorite old-school internet memories.


*As much as it makes me feel old to have finished college, I'm not actually that old, so my "blast from the past" is really only going back 10 years or so. Haha


2005 - The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny





Another staple in the computer labs of my high school was this delightful little flash video. And come on, what's not to like? All our favorite super heroes and villains beating each other up!


2003 - The End of the World, The Badger Song, Foamy





"Hokay, so, here is the Earth..." To this day, I quote this flash animation at totally inappropriate times.





Badger, badger, badger, badger... and so on and so forth. In addition to this, we also should probably mention the Llama song, which is equally funny and probably even more nonsensical.





Foamy the Squirrel! I couldn't get a definitive date on the origination of Foamy, but I know he's been around a long time, bitching and moaning about the world and everyone in it. The oldest cartoons are the funniest, the newer ones are really just sad.


2002 - Coke Music





Not sure what the point of this ever was, but it was hilarious. It was a flash game based around coke, and you could have your own studio, fill it with furniture, make music, and try to make that music popular. You could also use it for player-run races, and "falling furniture" games, and cyber sex, as most did.


2001 - 8 Bit Theatre





Who didn't love Fighter, Black Mage, Theif, and Red Mage? Okay, fine, we liked White Mage too. I loved the comic strip, and the flash videos that were made. (This video is not actually of any of the comic strips, it's a spoof using the characters) HAAAADOOOOKEEEEN!!!





There's some legit 8 Bit Theatre!


1997 - Tibia





One of the first MMORPGs, ironically, I have never met anyone else who has even heard of this game outside of the group of 4 or 5 friends and myself who played it in middle school. It was always a lot of fun, though it quickly became really outdated. Watching the video of the Annihilator quest makes it look like it's actually really boring, but there's a lot going on in the video that you can't really see in the gameplay. It was cool, trust me.


What are some of your favorite old-school flash animations, games, or websites?


~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment